Tonight, I conquered another first in the kitchen…cooking with lentils! I recently started putting quinoa into my regular rotations and with a little persuasion from viewing my labmates tasty lentil lunches, it was time to expand my horizons as well!
The greatest thing about lentils is that they are an excellent source of fiber! And they taste good in so many different recipes…I always found myself sneaking bites of people’s lunches when they brought them! Seriously, make this recipe, it’s easy and very satisfying with lots of leftovers for lunches the rest of the week. 🙂
Ingredients (Recipe adapted from Holy Cannoli Recipes):
1 boneless, skinless, chicken breast
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (I used balsamic vinegarette dressing)
2 tsp. worstechire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa (about 2 cups cooked)
2/3 cup uncooked lentils (about 2 cups cooked)
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 roma tomato, diced
2 cups frozen broccoli florrets
Goat cheese crumbles (optional!)
1. Combine balsamic vinegarette, worstechire sauce, and garlic powder to make marinade. Cut up chicken breast into 1/2 inch-1 inch pieces and soak in marinade for one hour.
2. Cook quinoa and lentils according to package.
3. Microwave broccoli for 3 minutes. In large skillet, saute peppers in 1 tbsp. olive oil on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Add in onions and garlic, saute for 2 more minutes. Add in tomatoes and broccoli, cook for 3-4 more minutes.
4. In another skillet, after chicken has marinated for an hour, pour chicken and marinade into skillet and cook on medium heat until chicken has browned (7-10 minutes).
5. Put it all together! Combine cooked quinoa, lentils, veggies, and chicken in a large bowl and mix well. If flavor isn’t strong enough, add more balsamic. I also had some extra goat cheese that I added on top, and it was a great addition!