Buckle your seat belts, we’re bout to have a lifechat here on the blog! After three years of blogging, it’s time for a change, and here’s why:
I have been posting less frequently, mainly due to being busy finishing grad school and starting my career. I consciously made blogging less of a priority, and am completely ok with that. But, over the summer, I also took a step back from blogging for another key reason. I’m at a crossroads with the blogging world and my little corner of the interwebs that is More Than Just Dessert.
me at the crossroads– GET IT?! Maybe i should refocus on becoming funnier…
When I started the blog, it was a recipe blog, where I shared my new found love of cooking (this was 3 years ago). It morphed into posting about my 40 lb weight loss and attempting to inspire others trying to find their way into a healthy lifestyle, and then the past year its been a continuation of that healthy living, with some traveling and foodie things, and grad school things. I love, love where I’ve been this past year and documenting it, but over the past few months I’ve been worried that my blog has lost its focus.
Have y’all ever felt like that? Ugh. For me, it hinders my blogging mojo and makes me less motivated to blog, because I spend more time thinking about what I should blog, rather than actually carrying out writing a post. It’s bothered me so much that over the past month or so, I purposely didn’t post a whole lot because I wanted to take a step back, get my life together, and really think about refocusing my blog and goals I have for More Than Just Dessert. I’m a completely different person than I was when this blog started. I have gained so much knowledge while getting my Ph.D. and I want to put that to use here! I also have been a fly on the wall reading many, many blogs– making lists of what I prefer and think is interesting to try and get a sense of what I want to be doing!
So I’ve been thinking, and writing down (pen & paper style, as my short term memory stinks) my strengths that I think could contribute to a strong blog. More importantly, I’ve been writing down what sparks the fire within me and things I’m passionate about in my life that I want to share with the world. I may be a professor of nutrition, but I am also a traveler, a baker, a newbie triathlete, etc. I still love being busy and fighting the good fight about staying healthy in a busy life– and I still have friends asking for my advice on that topic, so ultimately, my mantra remains the same – If I can do it, you can too.
Here is my short list of goals and passions for now. I’m still working on how to achieve some of them.
Blogging With A Purpose
One of the goals I want to achieve with More Than Just Dessert, is that it is a blog with a purpose. Blogging is a hobby for me, not a job. I’m not in it for the money, but I won’t lie, it is nice when it does come my way for sponsored posts and product reviews for things I believe in. Key word there: things I believe in!!!!! I don’t do a lot of sponsored posts, because I am extremely selective about what I want to support (and also the time commitment aspect). It confuses me to the MAX when I read blogs that are all about one certain topic in nutrition or health, and then they are supporting products that completely contradict that! I want to continue upholding this standard of supporting only what I believe in for myself, but I understand this will require me to put in more work to get better at networking for opportunities to promote products I truly support.
Blogging Within My Time Frame
In graduate school, it was easy for me to take an hour during the day while my samples were running to blog about what was going on. In my current job, I don’t have that luxury, as I am constantly busy while I am at work….and that is the way it should be! I want to be able to have a stable blog– stable blog series, stable posting, stable topics. But on the other hand I really need to sitdown and honestly split up my time to not take on more than I can handle. Being a professor is my #1 priority now and I want to give 100% to that. I also want to give 100% to the blog and to do so, that might mean scaling back for quality not quantity.
Blogging About What I Love
After examining what my life has revolved around the past month, I’ve come up with a short list of topics that I really want to talk about and that EXCITE me to share.
1. Nutrition Knowledge– I did NOT put myself through PhD hell for four years to come up and never use what I learned. I want to promote GOOD nutrition and science. I want my readers to understand what is a nutrition fad and what is a nutrition fact! The internet is full of misleading nutrition information and I want to help promote good, solid, facts.
2. Traveling– My philosophy has morphed into this: travel everywhere while you can. seeing the world and learning how other people live, eat, work is not only rewarding, it is extremely educational. I don’t want to look back one day and say, “wow, I wish i would have taken more time to do the things I wanted to while I was young and had no one depending on me”. For me, that’s travel.
3. Recipes in small batches. Being a single lady, I find it a challenge to find healthy recipes in small doses. I love me a good casserole, but I don’t want to be eating it for an entire week. I think this is an awesome challenge that I look forward to tackling this fall.
4. Fitness and Sports– I love it all.
5. My first year as a young professional. I know I’m a little late to the “real world”, thanks to four years of grad school (which I did receive a small salary for, so I was working for my money!), but I have learned so much about being a professional and role model in the past year…things I wish I would have known early! I want to inspire women to not only try to reach for the stars in their careers, but also how to be respected and well rounded in their abilities.
So that’s it for now. Next goal is to sit down and come up with a timeline that I can handle. But for now, I’m off to create a lecture and activity for my students this week on Foodborne Illnesses!
What about all of you? If you could start a blog, what would you blog about it? For Bloggers– what do you love most about your blog?